Here are some "Warm Wishes" from the Bayside.

A free pattern from Quiltmaker Magazine  (see the link at the bottom of page)

 

 

 

Here is a quilt pattern I found in Quiltmaker magazine while on my way back from Houston.  It struck me as a great beginner quilt pattern for my 2 grandchildren, ages 6 and 8.  It is a plain block and a variation of a rail fence block.  Using a large scale patterned fabric for the plain block; it appears much more complex than it is.  There is no fussy cutting needed to get a sashing and cornerstone setting look!

 

I also thought this would be a good stash burner quilt.  I dug into my stash and found the perfect large-scale fabric--snowmen in flannel.  The snowmen fabric is an Alexander Henry fabric that I fell in love with and bought some time ago.  When I went to get it, there were the other coordinating fabrics right next to it--imagine that!

 

I had scheduled the long holiday weekend for the 2 girls to come to Grandma's for a "quilting retreat".   This was to be the girls' introduction to quilting.  The girls and I planned to make gifts for the male members of the family!  So we modified the finished size to be 11 blocks wide by 11 blocks long, giving us a finished size of approximately 60x60.  I recalculated my amounts and did all the cutting--which took no time at all!  No fussy cutting!

 

 

 

 

In anticipation, we set up 2 featherweights in our family room, one for each of the girls.  I used double stick mounting tape as a " guide on both featherweights.  The girls took to making sewing strips like ducks to water.  It kept me busy with the cutting and pressing. 

 

 

Next came the task of putting the blocks together in rows!  At this point, Ernie got recruited, as you have to alternate the striped block to get the setting effect around the patterned block.  With 2 little sewers this can be a challenge!  But we persevered!!

 

 

 

 

With help from Ernie, the girls and I managed to get all the rows together to complete the top.

 

 

Then on to the quilting!  I pieced the back out of some flannels from my stash.  And for once, practiced what I preach--I trimmed the selvages and sewed " seams and pressed them open!  

 

I loaded the quilt on to the B-line frame using a Warm and Natural batting.  The girls decided on the snowflake pantograph.  And I was glad as everyone knows "no two snowflakes are alike!"  Then we decided on a Valdani 35 wt. thread in M31 monochrome for the top thread.  The variegation would let some of the flake show but I encouraged this choice, as I didn't want the snowflakes to take over!

 

For the bobbin thread, we used black prewound bobbins. I was amazed when we used only 3 bobbins to do all the quilting and had no tension problems at all.  I just love the prewound bobbins!

 

Then we are ready to quilt!  With the Cruise Control on the frame with the Juki, we weren't worried about stitch length, so everyone gets into the quilting!

 

 

Here is the finished quilting!

 

 

And, here is the proud recipient!

 

 

Resources:

A free pattern from Quiltmaker Magazine  November/December '03

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt83/

 

   

 

 
 

Copyright 2002-2011 Bayside Quilting